Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Top 15 Books of 2015

Guys it's almost 2016!!!! Wow this year went by so fast. I had so many books I wanted to read and I just didn't get to all of them *sadness* But there's always next year haha so we're going for it!

This year I read 61 books! (Hopefully 62 there's still time) Before I get into my favorites, I'll give you some stats thanks to Goodreads of course!

Total Pages: 27, 026. CRAZY RIGHT?! It's so weird to think of books in terms of pages and not books but boom I just did.

Legacy Lost by Anna Banks



Shortest Book: Legacy Lost by Anna Banks. This was 32 pages apparently. It's a novella in the Syrena Legacy series. I only read the first one and part of the second one this year, but I have the whole trilogy so I need to get on that next year.






Longest Book: A Storm of Swords by George R. R. Martin. This one was a whopping 1,177 pages!!! I also think it might be my favorite Game of Thrones book but I still need to finish A Dance with Dragons so that's up in the air at the moment. If I remember correctly, this one took me possibly two months to read *gasp* it's just that long.

My average rating was 4.4 stars!! That's great guys compared to last year! Even though I didn't read as many books, I apparently made up for it with quality. Quality over quantity as they say...

Now for my Top 15, in no particular order:

1. The Game of Thrones Series by George R. R. Martin
I started this series this year, and even though I'm still on Book 5, I'm loving it immensely and it's definitely one of my favorites. I think what really makes me love it is the depth of the world building. There's obviously so much thought and planning going into it, that you can't help but appreciate it (even though your favorite characters keep mysteriously dying). I especially love all the politics; political intrigue is one of my favorite elements of epic fantasy.



2. The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
No, this wasn't written by Valentine's sister or something for those of you out there that have read the Mortal Instruments. This was written by a literary genius. This book is definitely one of my all time favorites! It has that indescribable quality that I'm constantly looking for in books and just can't seem to find. Maybe it's atmosphere, maybe it's the writing, maybe it's just everything but whatever it is, this book has it in abundance! I desperately need Erin Morgenstern to write another book!!!

3. A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas
Sarah J. Maas was already one of my favorite authors, but I probably would have read this anyways. Either way, I absolutely loved it! The Fae elements were fascinating as always, and the plot was very original while still sticking to the main tenants of the Beauty and the Beast fairy tale (not the Disney one folks). While I did have a few issues, it was overall a fantastic read and I cannot wait for the next book, A Court of Mist and Fury, to come out next year!!



4. We Were Liars by E. Lockhart
I loved going into this with no expectations. It totally wowed me! It took "light-hearted summer read" and flipped it on its head. I'm pretty sure I cried. It was that emotionally tear-jerking. I think that's enough said. If you read it, you'll understand. If you haven't, I don't want to spoil you.



5. Legacy of Kings by Eleanor Herman
This book, apart from being my first ever ARC *squeals*, is phenomenal! I loved the concept and reading it was just so much fun! I would describe it as historical-fantasy-romance. It created its own genre (you should read it just for that). It's set in the time of Alexander the Great (before he became Great with a capital G though) and there's magic, a very unique magic, and there's lots of romance. It's what I like to call a love polygon which sounds torturous but is actually hilariously fun! I need to get myself an actual copy of the book, because the actual cover is just gorgeous!

6. Ignite Me by Taherah Mafi
I was so late to this bandwagon it's a little embarrassing. However...I'm finally on it. I read the whole trilogy this year, but this one was my favorite by far! Warner is my new love and he is literally the only reason I kept reading. If Taherah Mafi kept writing this series with just adventures in the lives of Juliette and Warner but mostly Warner and romance then I would be a happy little cello for the rest of happily ever after. Just sayin'...


7. The Mistborn Trilogy by Brandon Sanderson
Brandon Sanderson is my new favorite author guys. He's so so so so soooo awesome! I love his world building and his characters and his plots and his romance and the feels and just everything everything everything! My goal is to read all the books he has ever written. It's a thing.




8. Crash Into You by Katie McGarry
This is my favorite Katie McGarry book to date! I loved Isaiah and Rachel and just them together and it was everything I wanted in a romance novel! It's just so fun yet high stakes and I kinda want to call it a guilty pleasure read but I'm not even sure because I totally admit my love for it so there!


9. Fall of Giants by Ken Follett
This series is so ambitious and the first installment did not disappoint. It follows these families in Europe and America through the 20th century and the first book centered around World War I. But it was so much more than that! There was women's rights and the labor union rise and Russian revolutions and politics and social life and class struggles. It was really well researched and was a wonderful mix of facts and plot. I loved the characters and I can't wait to see where they go in the next book!



10. Queen of Shadows by Sarah J. Maas
I love this series sooooo much! While this wasn't my favorite (that goes to Heir of Fire) it was definitely still fantastic and I loved every second of it! I can't even give coherent thoughts without spoiling everything so just know that I love it!!



11. Go Set a Watchman by Harper Lee

While this wasn't a perfect book by any means, I think it had a really important message, which is why it's on here. It's about becoming your own person and developing your own beliefs and I just think that's really important for everyone to do. It finishes the coming-of-age story that is To Kill a Mockingbird, and I think it's something that you should read if you've read To Kill a Mockingbird, if only just to find out what happens to everyone.



12. Night Film by Marisha Pessl
This book was fantastically creepy! Don't read it in the dark alone because I can tell you from experience that you will be afraid to move for fear of a horror movie director jumping out and killing you or something. The plot was phenomenal and I never knew what was going to happen next. It's definitely a horror thriller mystery thing so be prepared for that. I loved the newspaper clippings and photographs; I thought they really added a layer of believability to the story which was awesome.






13. Outlander by Diana Gabaldon
Wow was that an awesome book! This is definitely all about the romance for me, not gonna lie. Jamie is adorable and I love him so much and Claire was super awesome too and I just loved it all so much! I need the next book now!




14. Red Rising by Pierce Brown
Sci-fi guys is starting to have appeal because Pierce Brown. Not only is he himself attractive, but so are his books. The writing is fantastic, the plot is fantastic, it's overall just awesome! It's just so inventive and I loved it completely! I need more!


15. The Heir by Kiera Cass
Again, not my favorite in the series, but it was fun to see where the next generation was and to see the whole Selection process flip-flopped. I'm excited to see how it gets wrapped up in the final book. Especially with that cliff-hanger!!!!!! That was not ok and it killed my feels just so you know.





So those were my Top 15 Books of 2015! Hope you enjoyed!

What were some of your favorite books of 2015? Do you agree with any of my picks? Let me know in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment